Man arrested after driving stolen gas lorry into Barcelona traffic

Man arrested after driving stolen gas lorry into Barcelona traffic

Several cars were hit during the attempted escape on one of Barcelona’s busiest roads.

A man who drove a stolen lorry packed with butane gas canisters into oncoming traffic on a major road in Barcelona, ramming into cars along the way, has been stopped by police gunfire.

The Swedish citizen, 32, was arrested and is being questioned after speeding dangerously down a motorway near the northeastern Spanish city’s harbour.

Spain’s Interior Minister, Juan Ignacio Zoido, tweeted images of the stopped lorry, which displayed a bullet hole through the windscreen and a cage load of loose barrels.

A bullet hole was seen in the lorry windscreen.

He said the driver, who has been named by local media as Joakim Robin Berggren, has a history of mental illness and said the incident was not a terrorist act.

A Brazilian woman suffered a leg injury when she was hit by one of the several canisters that fell off the lorry as the man drove at high speed.

Police started chasing the lorry around 11am local time after the driver failed to obey orders to stop from officers who had seen the vehicle racing and dropping part of its load.

The lorry was stopped when it crashed against the wall of a motorway.

A police spokeswoman earlier said no one was wounded from the police gunshots that helped bring the vehicle to a standstill.

Police said several gas canisters dropped from the vehicle as the man drove into the traffic.

Several cars were hit by the lorry during the incident, which she said was stolen earlier in the day in a nearby district.

Regional police chief Joan Carles Molinero said police were investigating the man and his address.

The suspect is being questioned at a regional hospital where he was sent for a medical checkup.

The vehicle crashed against a wall after being stolen earlier Tuesday.

"We are working on the possibility that it could be a person with psychological imbalances or who has consumed substances," Mr Molinero said.

"At the moment we have no indication whatsoever that he was planning a terrorist attack."

Spain has kept its national security alert to one step below maximum since July 2015.

Comments are closed.